Thursday, June 25, 2009

The sun burns every day. It burns time.

So, I have an addiction. I am quite a cutter. I cut my hair so often I'm surprised I'm not bald. One day, I'm afraid. The same goes with coloring, but I'm taking a vacation from that adventure for the time being. Trial and error, that's how it goes with my hair. I suppose that works for every aspect in life since no one is perfect. Duh. Needless to say, I am proud of my haircut. It's really not much different. I just enjoy slight changes ever so often. That's me.
I read the book Fahrenheit 451 the other night, and wow, there are some good quotes in the book. Ray Bradbury reminds me a lot of Mr. Vonnegut, humorous and I definitely can never put the books down..
This one is oh, so good.
"What do you do, go around trying everything once?"
"Sometimes twice."
Good life motto.
"Well, after all, this is the age of the disposable tissue. Blow your nose on a person, wad them, flush them away. Reach for another, blow, wad, flush."
At first, I felt a little guilty of the disposable tissue use myself. However, I must realize I am in no way nearly as guilty of such a sin as I may feel. Everyone is selfish, yes, but I do not practice this technique regularly. Only sometimes. And really I just adore the analogy. Fantastically witty.
"The good writers touch life often. The mediocre ones run a hand over her. The bad ones rape her and leave her for the flies."
Thus, everyone wants to read about life, about meaning, about existence. And find good writers, they don't have to be excellent, for then I probably wouldn't understand half of what they say. Just good ones.
Dover Beach/last stanza/Matthew Arnold 1867
Ah, love, let us be true
To one another! for the world, which seems
To lie before us like a land of dreams,
So various, so beautiful, so new,
Hath really neither joy, nor love, nor light,
Nor certitude, nor peace, nor help for pain;
And we are here as on a darkling plain
Swept with confused alarms of struggle and flight,
Where ignorant armies clash by night.
"...maybe it's best not to face things, to run have fun..."
This hits home hardest. I, for certain, hate to face things. In the book Guy is about to run away, as he has just been caught with forbidden books and has murdered. I haven't had to deal with such a situation, yet I can relate. Do you run away and forget the past or face it and get burned? Does it depend on the situation? Or should one always bite down and take it? Fear is the root, or is it simple selfishness? Well, here's another good one..
"Mistakes can be profited by. If you hide your ignorance, no one will hit you and you'll never learn."
"I'll hold on to the world tight someday. I've got one finger on it now; that's a beginning."

Well, may the belt unravel and the pants fall, for those deserving. May jest last as long as wit. For those who seek, may they find what they're looking for. And when all else fails, go read a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment